Archive for April, 2013
Following was sent through by General (Ret) James David who is mentioned on the cover of the third edition of former Republican Paul Findley’s ‘They Dare to Speak Out’ book about the influence of the Israel lobby on the US political system and media!:
This is a letter sent to me by former U.S. Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Regardless what you may think of her, and I am one who respects her, this speech she gave before the United Nations is very impressive. She is one of the few members of Congress to speak out against the Israeli lobby when she was in office, but just like so many others who have done the same, they commit political suicide to do such a brave act. Too bad. I asked Cynthia for permission to send this to others and her answer just a few minutes ago was as such. “Yes, ABSOLUTELY, please share it far and wide. The word needs to get out. Sparks are already flying down here. I might not get invited back, but the message has been delivered and the people have been told.” So, here it is.
In a message dated 4/29/2013 12:52:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Cynthia McKinney wrote:
It is fitting that on the same day as this headline appeared, “Pro-Israeli US lawmakers urge bombing Syria air bases, arming militants, invasion” I delivered the following remarks to the United Nations International Meeting on the Question of Palestine:
From Cynthia McKinney: Remarks at the UN International Meeting on Palestine in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
1. My name is Cynthia McKinney and I served as a Member of the U.S. Congress for 12 years. During my time in Congress, I strove to make respect for human rights a central feature in the formulation of U.S. foreign policy. Amid minor successes, I have to say that my efforts while, broadly appreciated by many, failed miserably. That failure stems in part from the peculiarities of U.S. politics that allow policy formulation to deviate from and in many cases become diametrically opposed to the values of the people of the U.S. Sadly, what we in the U.S. call “special interests” are able to buy public policy by way of campaign contributions and misleading media campaigns. These “special interests” are aided and abetted in the U.S. by a concentrated media that has no obligation according to U.S. court decisions to tell the public the truth. In other words, U.S. media have won in U.S. court the right to knowingly lie to the people they ostensibly serve. I will briefly delve into this unusual and anti-“democratic” state of affairs now controlling in the U.S. once again before I conclude my remarks.
2. After my tenure in Congress, I became involved in international human rights activism. During Israel’s Operation Cast Lead (which was its war against Hamas and others), I joined with a group of human rights activists who tried to deliver medical supplies to the people of Gaza; the Israeli Military stopped us. While in international waters, an Israeli Defense Forces warship rammed the pleasure boat that I was on with the other volunteers, and totally destroyed our boat. Neither the medical supplies nor us volunteers reached Gaza.
3. Approximately six months later, we, the volunteers from the first thwarted effort, reassembled in order to make another attempt to reach Gaza by sea, traveling through international waters, with the hopes of entering into Palestine by way of Gaza’s territorial waters. By this time, Operation Cast Lead had ended, President Barack Obama had been sworn in, and he had appealed publicly for an easing of the Israeli blockade of Gaza. Gazans had made an appeal for school supplies for the children still reeling from the trauma of three weeks of what the United Nations called “one of the most violent episodes in the recent history of the Palestinian territory.” So, some of us answered that call with school supplies for the children and building supplies for the adults so that Gaza could rebuild from the devastation after Operation Cast Lead. On this effort to answer a humanitarian call for help, I, along with 20 other volunteers, was kidnapped by the Israeli military while in international waters, our boat was seized, we were taken by an extremely circuitous route to Israel where we never intended to go, and I was incarcerated in an Israeli prison for 7 days. Sadly, what I witnessed while in Israeli prison pointed to Israel as an apartheid state and the gross mistreatment of, particularly, Ethiopian women who had been lured to the “Holy Land” for job opportunities that vaporized because they were not of the correct religion. In addition to that, my observation at the time was that Ethiopian Jews are used as an important pillar–even enforcer, ironically, of Israeli apartheid. I can expand on this aspect of my observations later if there are specific questions or requests for more information from this body or from individuals in attendance at this Conference.
4. Needless to say, for a second time, I was prevented from entering Gaza. Upon hearing of my ordeal, Member of Parliament George Galloway who was in Cairo leading “Viva Palestina USA,” contacted me and invited me to come to Cairo and enter Gaza by land, which I did. Upon entering Gaza, I was able to see the destruction inflicted on the people by Israel’s Operation Cast Lead. I scooped up a bit of the soil and put it in this container. Sadly, as noted in the Goldstone Report and admitted by the Israeli Defense Forces, this Gaza soil is probably contaminated with whatever remains of the chemicals that were used by the Israelis against the people of Gaza: chemicals ranging from white phosphorus to inert metals. And while I unsuccessfully tried to pass legislation in Congress to end the use of depleted uranium in U.S. munitions because of the health effects, the Goldstone Report mentions that allegations were made that Israel used depleted uranium during Operation Cast Lead, which also might be in this soil. The United Nations Division for Palestinian Rights is also aware that civilian targets were bombed and totally destroyed. I visited a few of those targets.
5. One stop on my private tour of the destruction in Gaza was the American International School and amid the rubble I spotted a bright yellow something that I couldn’t quite make out what it was. So, I climbed through the jutted shards of concrete and exposed rebar to retrieve the object. This is that object: an English language children’s art book stamped with the initials of the American International School in Gaza., “AISG.” I was standing in what was left of the School’s library.
6. Another stop on my tour of the effects of Israel’s Operation Cast Lead was a neighborhood school, not nearly as big and grand as the American School. There, I could see the path of one missile that blew a hole clear through several walls of the school. There were markings on the chalkboard, including the Star of David. I saw several cans of peanuts on the floor. This is one of them. It is written in Hebrew. The Israeli soldiers blew up the school and then sat down in its ruins and enjoyed peanuts and drew religious and political markings on the chalkboard.
7. Both boats that I was on were seized by the Israelis and destroyed by them. The humanitarian aid on the boats did not reach Gaza and only token aid was delivered by the land convoy to the Al Shifa Hospital in Gaza., the bulk of it stranded in Egypt, not allowed into Gaza by the Egyptians or the Israelis.
8. What is amazing is not only that this happens over and over again, but that Israeli leaders who commit war crimes and crimes against humanity, leave office, and are never held accountable for their policies., as was done by victims of Augusto Pinochet, and as is being done currently by the International Criminal Court. Another aspect of this impunity is that Israel continues to receive U.S. weapons and technology which it uses against civilians in contravention of U.S. law. As these weapons are used or become outdated, the U.S. replenishes Israel’s weapons stock every year.
9. One measure of this impunity is brought to bear by the pro-Israel Lobby that operates in the political sphere of the U.S. I am a former Member of Congress because pro-Israel sympathizers known as the “pro-Israel Lobby” ensured my ouster from Congress and that of many other Members of Congress who dared to try and draw attention to U.S. law, Israel’s human rights violations, Israel’s misuse of U.S. weapons, or any other inconvenient facts that were better buried and left unknown.
10. What many of you might not know, because these things just aren’t discussed as widely as they should be, is that many of those Members of Congress who were put out of office by the pro-Israel Lobby were the stolen children of Africa, descendants of Africans trafficked in the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade. I will call the names of a few and tell you where you can find information about them as they tell their own stories:
· Gus Savage, Member of Congress from Chicago, Illinois was targeted for defeat by the pro-Israel Lobby because he dared to engage in foreign relations within the purview of a Member of Congress on the African Continent, in Egypt among other places. He recounted his ordeal on the Floor of the House of Representatives and revealed the secrets of the pro-Israel Lobby on the Congressional Record where students and others interested in this topic can find his words today: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r101:20:./temp/~r101lw459S:e0:
· Earl Hilliard, Member of Congress from Birmingham, Alabama was the first Black Member of Congress to serve the people of Alabama since the U.S. Civil War’s Reconstruction Era. He was ejected from the Congress by the pro-Israel Lobby because he, like Gus Savage, traveled to Africa, and in particular to Libya. He also traveled to Lebanon and learned of new weapons for that time, that had been used there by Israel. For this transgression, Earl Hilliard had to go. He is interviewed in a Dutch documentary that is available on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ6WLB9oRUk) where he describes the vicious campaign that was run against him by the pro-Israel Lobby.
· And then, there’s me. Just this month, I published a book entitled, “Ain’t Nothing Like Freedom,” (http://www.claritypress.com/McKinneyII.html) in which I describe just a few of the tactics that were used against me by the pro-Israel Lobby to destroy my career in Congress.
· These three political “take-downs” were very publicly done in order to send a message to others who might also be inclined to speak up out of moral conviction, as Savage, Hilliard, and I did.
· This weeding out also occurs on the local level with state and local elected officials like my father and others targeted for defeat because of the potential threat to the interests of the pro-Israel Lobby that they pose.
· In addition, on a public and private level, targeted individuals have to endure soft repression that makes life difficult. All of this needs to be put on the record if one is to fully understand the power of the pro-Israel Lobby and the pall that it casts on the political process in the U.S. and from what I have been told, also in Europe.
· Finally, the political landscape for Blacks in the U.S. is negatively affected by this weeding out process, because their strongest and most outspoken authentic leaders are vulnerable to the challenges from candidates that are well funded by outside “special interests.”
11. In light of this, I would like to put this thought to you: can you even imagine what U.S. policy would be like at the United Nations if the will of the people were carried out without the interference of the pro-Israel Lobby? The Durban World Conference Against Racism was a watershed that could be revisited time and time again with U.S. support and participation, except that powerful Lobbies want otherwise. I know, it’s hard to imagine things differently. But it is not hard for me and that is one vision that keeps me going: U.S. policy made in the image of the values of the people of the U.S. At a Conference whose theme is African solidarity with the Palestinian people, I thought it was important to mention not only how the pro-Israel Lobby skews politics in the U.S. against the Palestinians, but also against African-descendants inside the U.S.
12. I focus on this important aspect of policymaking by focusing on who gets to make the policy because I believe that this is one key reason why Palestinians are forced to suffer while, at best platitudes and delay, serve as the effective policies of the US and European countries.
13. The short version of this tragic story is that pro-Israel forces inside the U.S. are willing to use their money to buy political influence and protection for Israel across the political spectrum while the same cannot be said of pro-peace, pro-justice forces. I liken the situation to game day when one team shows up in beautiful new uniforms with all of the latest and best equipment, primed and ready to execute its strategy in the game of play, while the other team doesn’t even show up on the pitch. I believe that one remaining untested justice frontier is the political battleground in U.S. and European capitals. It is inside these essential capitals that pro-Israel Lobbies have become comfortable operating with very little opposition from the other side.
14. I am tired of losing when, I believe, we really do not have to lose. I fundamentally believe that the people of this world are good and want peace. I have spoken to Afghanis and Pakistanis, to Yemenis and to Somalis, Palestinians and Americans, and I find them to be peace-loving peoples.
15. So, how do we move from where we are to where we need to be? That is the fundamental question. I focus on the political because the political creates the legal. And the political creates impunity.
16. Just in my personal experiences, I have outlined breaches of international humanitarian law, international human rights law, international law, and U.S. law by the occupying power: Israel.
17. I served as a juror on the Bertrand Russell Tribunal on Palestine that recently concluded its Sessions with a finding that both the U.S. and Europe are guilty of contributing to the atmosphere of impunity with which apartheid Israel carries out its policies against Palestinians and anyone who stands in its way.
18. I also recently served as an Official Observer as the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Commission received testimony from Palestinians on their treatment inside Israel as well as in the Occupied Territories.
19. Through my service with both of these organizations, I have met too many courageous Palestinians and Israelis who want to live peacefully with each other and who put their lives and their livelihoods on the line every day for peace and the rule of law. I do believe that much of the suffering could be alleviated if we would put sufficient energy and resources behind putting out in public view how the pro-Israel Lobby misdirects U.S. and European policies and prevents pro-peace and justice politicians from ever having the opportunity to put those values, along with our basic human dignity, permanently on the table for public debate.
20. Finally, I am not Palestinian. I am not Arab. I am not Muslim. But I am human. And that is enough for me to acknowledge the dignity of others who are oppressed and to epitomize what this Conference is all about: African Solidarity with the Palestinian People for the Achievement of its inalienable rights, including the sovereignty and independence of the State of Palestine.
21. Thank you.
———————————————————-+ | __o CONTINENTAL CRITICAL MASS | _`\;,_ come ride with me | (*)/ (*) | Bike4Peace Across the USA ———————————————————–+
Do Jews Dominate in American Media? And So What If We Do? (keep in mind that former NBC News head Jeff Zucker, mentioned as being the head of NBC News at following link, is now head of CNN news):
Let’s talk about Russian influence
Read it all, it makes the points about the Israel Lobby and the Media,etc
That Progressives often just haven’t the courage to deal with honestly
“No one talks about the hand of Israel; but Hillary Clinton promises her biggest donor, Haim Saban, whose one issue is Israel, that she’ll work against the boycott campaign and she’ll meet Benjamin Netanyahu in her first month of office: the same Netanyahu who tried to undermine our president’s signature foreign policy achievement by speaking and lobbying Congress under the president’s nose, Netanyahu who said that America could be easily moved, Netanyahu who pushed the Iraq war in 2002 to transform the Middle East, even as Hillary Clinton was voting for that war.
The latest batch of Clinton emails show that then-Secretary of State Clinton was shuffling her schedule to meet with big Clinton Foundation donors who care about Israel. “I’m on shuttle w Avigdor Liberman…. I want to stop by to see hrc tonite for 10 mins,” wrote one of them.
When Donald Trump tried to take a “neutral” position on Israel, Hillary Clinton told the leading Israel lobby group AIPAC that he had “no business” being president and she was going to take the relationship with Israel “to the next level.”
When Bernie Sanders tried to stake out a neutral position on Israel, Clinton’s catspaw at the DNC, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, complained privately, “The Israel stuff is disturbing.” Or as Anne Lewis, Clinton’s political guru who is also a Zionist, said, “The role of the president of the United States is to support the decisions that are made by the people of Israel.”
– See more at: http://mondoweiss.net/2016/08/about-russian-influence/
Are Jews losing control of the media?:
Six Jewish Companies Control 96% of the World’s Media:
How Jewish is Hollywood? – latimes.com – Los Angeles Times (by Joel Stein):
Leaked emails reveal Hollywood execs at work for Israel:
Time Warner executive moonlights as speechwriter for Netanyahu:
Jewish Jeff Fager of ’60 Minutes’ refused to do segment about Mearsheimer/Walt ‘The Israel Lobby and US Foreign Policy’ book:
Never Mind Bombing Iran as Sheldon Adelson Wants to Buy the NY Times:
Pro-Israel billionaires Adelson and Saban muse over buying New York Times
One Issue Guy Saban Funded Brookings as his personal power ranger:
‘Every Hillary Clinton will do will always be for Israel’ – Saban warns the Republicans
Haim Saban, the Israeli-American, multibillionaire media mogul offers the answer. The New Yorker reported this week that at a conference last fall, Saban described his pro-Israeli formula, outlining “three ways to be influential in American politics…make donations to political parties, establish think tanks, and control media outlets.”
Battle of the billionaires: Adelson vs. Saban
The WikiLeaks archive reveals how some of Hollywood’s top players want to combat the negative publicity of last summer’s brutal war on Gaza and link the pro-Palestine movement to anti-Semitism:
Media Bias for Israel Masks Israeli Aggression against Palestinians:
Fmr Israeli minister on how the ‘anti-Semitic trick’ is used in US to suppress criticism of Israel:
Helen Thomas to Playboy: Jews ‘own the White House’
Shocker: Jewish ‘NYT’ runs front page press release for AIPAC warning Obama to cool his jets:
Actors who openly criticise Israel ‘risk being blacklisted’: http://i100.io/km0UzAI
Wolf Blitzer: From AIPAC Lobbyist to CNN’s Chief News Anchor:
More on AIPAC in following Dutch VPRO ‘The Israel Lobby’ documentary which the Dutch producer couldn’t get any US media channel to broadcast:
The Israel Lobby (Marije Meerman, VPRO Backlight 2007):
Former US citizen, former Israeli ambassador, Oren gets job at CNN:
Former Israeli ambassador Michael Oren dropped as CNN ‘analyst’
Veteran US journalist Jim Clancy slams Israeli propaganda
Long-time presenter Jim Clancy leaves CNN after ‘anti-Israel’ Twitter rant:
CNN anchor resigns after criticising Israeli propaganda
CNN boots reporter from Israel-Gaza conflict after ‘scum’ tweet: http://rt.com/usa/173888-cnn-reporter-scum-israel/
CNN’s Rick Sanchez Fired After Implying Jews Run the Media, Calling Jon Stewart a Bigot:
Israel Right or Wrong But What’s In It For Americans (by Philip Giraldi)?:
Media Coverup: US Played A Decisive “Behind the Scenes Role” in Israel’s Attack on Gaza
MSNBC President Phil Griffin (who is mentioned in above linked article) plants trees in Israel:
See how biased Jewish New York Times reporters are living in a Palestinian home according to what Max Blumenthal conveyed in following youtube:
Gaza is Burning: Here’s What the Corporate Media isn’t Telling You
Jewish Journalists should think of themselves as members of Israeli Army?!
Here is the playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bL2CDkc4-A&list=PLfrlsC1yJ2dQmq1Urz-9RFKxY0-IEKAMo
Jewish execs at NBC News replace @AymanM with Jewish @RichardEngel as Jewish media domination continues:
Mohyeldin’s boss at NBC rallied ‘Jewish passion’ for Israel when ‘it’s physically threatened’:
NBC News Pulls Veteran Reporter from Gaza After Witnessing Israeli Attack on Children:
Questions Surround NBC’s Removal Of Ayman Mohyeldin From Gaza
Media Bias for Israel Masks Israeli Aggression against Palestinians:
Fmr Israel minister says how the ‘anti-Semitic Trick’ is used in US: http://tinyurl.com/zionisttrick
U.S. ambassador to UN says ‘huge part’ of her work is defending Israel
Neocon driven/inspired Iraq/Afghanistan wars & US support for Israel were motive for Boston bombings
Neocon driven/inspired Iraq/Afghanistan wars were motive for Boston bombings!:
Boston bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left note in boat he hid in, sources say
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s note says U.S. ‘attack’ on Muslims drove Boston bombing
Tsarnaev had al Qaeda magazine on his computer: FBI agent:
Former CIA Bin Laden unit head Michael Scheuer on terrorism motivation:
Paul Findley: Why they hate the U.S.
The High Cost of Subservience to Israel:
Because Muslims are dying by British soldiers every day:
U.S. Leaders’ Fingerprints Are on the Detonators
by Michael Scheuer
Listen to former CIA Bin Laden unit head Michael Scheuer warn about Afghanistan and Iraq wars as motivation for Al Qaeda terrorism via following youtube link:
9/11 Motive & Media Betrayal:
US support for Israel is taking US down!: http://tinyurl.com/motivation911
Boston Bombing Suspects Motivated By Afghanistan, Iraq Wars: Report
Official: Suspect says Iraq, Afghanistan drove Boston bombings
Boston bombing suspect cites U.S. wars as motivation, officials say
Older Boston Suspect Made Two Trips to Dagestan, Visited Radical Mosque, Officials Say
Boston bombing suspects’ mother urged Tamerlan to travel to “Palestine” (no mention of such either in US media):
Dirty Wars: Terror Begets Terror | Jeremy Scahill Breaks the Set
The Sick Madness of Tom Friedman’s Culture
CBS ’60 Minutes’ segment reveals Iraq & Afghanistan wars as motive for Boston bombings!:
Richard Falk: Pondering Boston Bombings & blowback from US foreign policy in the ME:
Clarinfying my Boston Marathon Post (by Richard Falk):
Richard Falk spot on as well at beginning of following youtube:
Israel Attacks Gaza, Silence from Mainstream Media about Israeli Violations of International Law
AIPAC mouthpiece Susan Rice after courageous Richard Falk for telling it as it is (perhaps Susan Rice should listen to the FBI agent at beginning of http://tinyurl.com/911motivation via youtube)!:
UN official who tied Boston bombings to Israel must go, U.S. says
U.N. Official Condemned for Highlighting Role of U.S. Policy in Boston Attacks
A United Nations official is facing calls for his ouster following his comments about the role of U.S. policy in the Boston Marathon bombings. Richard Falk, U.N. special rapporteur on human rights in the Palestinian territories, wrote: “The American global domination project is bound to generate all kinds of resistance in the post-colonial world. In some respects, the United States has been fortunate not to experience worse blowbacks … We should be asking ourselves at this moment, ‘How many canaries will have to die before we awaken from our geopolitical fantasy of global domination?'” Officials in Canada and Britain as well as U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice have called for Falk to be fired. Officials who questioned the surviving suspect in the bombings say they were motivated at least in part by the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was badly wounded in an overnight standoff with police last week. He has now been moved from a hospital to prison.
UN official (Richard Falk) will keep job, despite anti-U.S. Boston Marathon rant
The Demonization of Richard Falk:
U.S. ambassador to UN says ‘huge part’ of her work is defending Israel
30 Years Ago, Neocons Were More Candid About Their Israel-Centered Views
Hagel says Israel must decide for itself whether to use force against Iran as he arrives in Tel Aviv
Hagel says Israel must decide for itself whether to use force against Iran as he arrives in Tel Aviv:
New U.S. arms sale could help Israel attack Attack Iran ? — Just as U.S. Defense Secretary Arrives in Israel:
Four months later, did Hagel’s confirmation make any difference at all?:
U.S. Aircraft Sale to Insure Israel Edge, Hagel Says
Senate Committee Passes New Iran War Resolution
Bought & paid for: 79 senators cosponsor AIPAC bill to make US join war if Israel attacks Iran. Names here:
U.S. Senate committee passes AIPAC resolution to back Israel in conflict with Iran
Essay: The Deadliest Israel Lobby Conspiracy Theories – Mainstream media awash
in false accusations
Establishment news media outlets are awash in new Israel lobby conspiracy theories. This is
puzzling since major media organizations seem capable of presenting informed yet
contrasting views on many controversial issues. Is widespread firearms
availability a major factor in mass shootings or is it people with hidden
criminal intent? Is deficit reduction or fiscal stimulus key to reviving the
American economy? Should Obamacare or other approaches drive healthcare reform?
Media routinely air a range of expert voices of all political persuasions. But
American media has proven uniquely susceptible to propagating harmful Israel
lobby conspiracy theories without opposing views. Absent informed challenges or
balanced debunking, conspiracy theories have now taken dangerous
prominence–displacing verifiable facts–in the minds of many Americans. Unless
remedied, such narratives could result in another costly and unnecessary war and
billions in misallocated taxpayer dollars at a time Americans can least afford
Two decades ago, AIPAC parlayed “Soviet Threat” theories into massive
aid packages the US is still paying off. Today the Israel lobby has been
relentless in spreading the conspiracy theory that Iran’s mullahs–driven purely
by their hatred of Israel–have a secret nuclear weapons program. Currently 71%
of Americans–according to one poll–believe that Iran has already deployed
nuclear weapons, despite the consensus institutional analysis of American
intelligence agencies and the IAEA. Endless bombast of this formerly fringe
belief mandates a “time is running out” chronology for diplomatic efforts
towards Iran. It has been the foundation of Israel-lobby mandated economic
sanctions that have mainly harmed Iran’s civilian population while realigning
trade patterns in ways unfavorable to the U.S. Encouraging American false
popular knowledge of “nuclear-armed Iran” makes the likelihood of another
regional war much greater. This is especially frightening since equally
unfounded fears about Iraq’s “weapons of mass destruction” were not nearly as
rampant. In 2006 only 50% of Americans believed Saddam Hussein had weapons of
mass destruction when the U.S. invaded…
Full Antiwar.com essay and
hyperlinked sources: http://tinyurl.com/deadly-ct
Hagel Orders Unit to Jordan, Warns About Intervention in Syria
Jordan Agrees: Israel Can Use Airspace to Attack Syria
Syria in accordance with rest of neocon Clean Break war for Israel that Iraq invasion was based on as well!:
US to give $123 million military aid package to Syrian rebels (as US states, counties, cities go bankrupt):
White House says the US may use military force against Syria
200 US Troops in Jordan Could Become 20,000 for Syria Invasion
US sending weapons to Syria
US going into Syria in accordance with rest of neocon ‘Clean Break’ war for Israel agenda that Iraq invasion was based on as well!: http://tinyurl.com/cleanbreak
Assad says West will pay for backing al Qaeda in Syria
Israel lobby pushing Syrian regime change to weaken Iran!:
U.S. Senate committee passes resolution to back Israel in conflict with Iran
Resolution 65 goes beyond affirming U.S. commitment to preventing a nuclear Iran to ensure it will ‘authorize the use of military force, diplomatic, military, and economic support to Israel in its defense of its territory, people, and existence.’
The resolution, introduced by Senators Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and which has 79 co-sponsors, is expected to pass in the Senate.
According to the text of the resolution on the U.S. Congress’ website, the goal of the resolution is that: “If the Government of Israel is compelled to take military action in legitimate self defense against Iran’s nuclear weapons program, the United States Government should stand with Israel and provide, in accordance with United States law and the constitutional responsibility of Congress to authorize the use of military force, diplomatic, military, and economic support to the Government of Israel in its defense of its territory, people, and existence.”
The text of the resolution includes several clauses relating to the U.S. government’s positions on Iran: “The Department of State has designated the Islamic Republic of Iran as a state sponsor of terrorism since 1984 and has characterized the Islamic Republic of Iran as the ‘most active state sponsor of terrorism’ in the world.
“The Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran has provided weapons,training, and funding to the regime of Bashar al Assad that has been used to suppress and murder its own people.”
Kirk-Menendez-Schumer Wag the Dog Act of 2014
Senate Resolution: U.S. Will Go to War With Iran if Israel Does
MJ Rosenberg wrote:
I worked on Capitol Hill for 15 years. The purpose of these nonbinding resolutions is to send a message to the president that going to war is what Congress wants and that he better pay attention, and two, to have language in place that lays groundwork for binding resolutions. Obama now knows that if Israel attacks Iran and the U.S. does not join in, he will have hell to pay with Congress. AIPAC does not waste its time with meaningless resolution. This is serious.
Will Israel Blow Up Something and Falsely Blame It On Iran?
Netanyahu: Many countries waiting to get rid of sanctions against Iran:
Israel Targeting Iran for Supporting Palestine (James Morris @PressTV)
Have US Senators been serving Israel rather than Americans?
Barbara Boxer, AIPAC seek to codify Israel’s right to discriminate against Americans
Op-Ed Israel’s free pass from Boxer Proposed legislation from the California senator would ease entry to the U.S. for Israelis but would not ensure the same rights for Muslim and Arab American travelers.
By George Bisharat
April 28, 2013
Sen. Barbara Boxer introduced legislation last month that would allow Israel to continue racially profiling Americans of Arab and Muslim heritage who travel to Israel, even as it confers new privileges on Israelis traveling to the United States.
I wonder whether she understands what it’s like for her Arab American constituents to enter Israel.
I always bet myself how long it will take for Ben Gurion Airport’s security screeners to detect my heritage. My given names are European, and my family name is an unusual pluralization of a common Arab name that sometimes throws even Arabic speakers. My hair is graying and my complexion, somewhere between that of my Palestinian father and my blue-blood American mother (a descendant of William Samuel Johnson, a signer of the U.S. Constitution), does not distinguish me. I dress like a typical American law professor, albeit one who is on vacation.
But the moment always arrives. The screeners, typically youngsters half my age, grow tenser and the questions begin: “Where was your father born? Where are you going in Israel? What is your purpose here? Where will you stay? How many times have you been here before? Who do you know in Israel?” I respond, patiently and truthfully. On it goes for hours, punctuated by long waits on hard benches as increasingly senior interrogators shuttle in. Occasionally I am strip-searched. When I clear customs, the non-Arab passengers from my flight have long since departed the airport. I endure this whether traveling alone or with my family. In 2000, my daughter spent a substantial part of her ninth birthday contending with such a Ben Gurion Airport welcome committee.
The Israeli routine is well known to American government officials. The State Department’s Israel travel advisory includes this caution: “U.S. citizens whom Israeli authorities suspect of being of Arab, Middle Eastern or Muslim origin” may be denied “entry or exit without explanation.”
So why then have Boxer and her 18 senatorial co-sponsors proposed a U.S.-Israel Strategic Partnership Act that would, among other things, include Israel in a visa waiver program that would make it easier for Israelis to visit the United States? Currently, citizens of 37 participating countries can enter the U.S. without a visa. American citizens can enter each of those countries on identical terms. Israel would be No. 38 — at least in terms of easy entry to the United States. Israel reportedly will not agree to the reciprocity requirement because it wants to continue racially profiling Muslim and Arab Americans.
Why such blatant racial profiling of American citizens from a country our political leaders regularly call our best friend and ally? No Arab American has ever committed crimes in Israel to warrant harassment of us all — unless criticism of Israeli policies is such a crime. For while we all experience lengthy detention and interrogation, those of us who bear public witness to Israel’s oppression of Palestinians are the most likely to be denied entry.
Palestinian Americans expect it from Israel. It merely treats us as it does other Arabs, including its own 1.4 million Palestinian citizens: with distrust and hostility, and as if our blood determined our character.
What I didn’t expect is that U.S. officials would propose sanctioning Israel’s racially discriminatory treatment of American citizens. Boxer’s legislation would exempt Israel from reciprocity, something no other country in the visa waiver program has asked for, much less been granted. The bill, part of the current legislative agenda of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, merely requires that Israel make “every reasonable effort, without jeopardizing the security of the state of Israel, to ensure that reciprocal travel privileges are extended to all United States citizens.”
Some of Israel’s staunchest congressional supporters have recognized the folly in the exemption. According to one congressional aide quoted by Ron Kampeas of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, “It’s stunning that you would give a green light to another country to violate the civil liberties of Americans traveling abroad.”
It is inconceivable that Boxer, otherwise known for her staunch defense of civil liberties and equal rights, truly supports Israeli racial profiling. Thus, she and others executing AIPAC’s legislative wish list (which also includes exemption of military aid to Israel from sequestration) should grow backbones, and refuse to trade the interests of their own constituents for those of a foreign nation.
George Bisharat is a professor at UC Hastings College of the Law and writes frequently on law and politics in the Middle East.